The Top Tips from the Experts
Every year, Australia falls prey to bush fires that devastate the natural environment and quite often destroy homes and families. Dealing with this destructive force of nature is an unavoidable fact of living in this beautiful country unfortunately.
Although it is difficult combatting the forces and scale of bush fires, there are some measures you can take to give your home the best chance of avoiding destruction, if you were so unlucky as to be caught in a fire. Take a look at these key points taken from the Queensland Rural Fire Service website:
- Clear leaves, twigs, bark and other debris from the roof and gutters.
- Purchase and test the effectiveness of gutter plugs.
- Enclose open areas under decks and floors.
- Install fine steel wire mesh screens on all windows, doors, vents and weep holes.
- Point LPG cylinder relief valves away from the house.
- Conduct maintenance checks on pumps, generators and water systems.
- Seal all gaps in external roof and wall cladding.
In addition to these great tips, you can install the Sentry Fireshield Shutters from Rollashield. These shutters have been tested by Australia’s national science agency, the CSIRO. The CSIRO have rated them with a Bushfire Attack Level of 40, meaning they meet the building requirements of radiant heat of 40 kilowatts/m2. Take a look at them here: https://netahomeandcommercial.com.au/security-doors-roller-shutters/roller-shutters/